Univ.-Prof. Dr.sc.hum. Elske Ammenwerth, Dipl.-Inform. Med., MET
Professor for Medical Informatics, Institute of Medical Informatics, UMIT TIROL - Private University for Health Sciences and Technology, Eduard Wallnöfer Zentraum 1, 6060 Hall in Tirol, Austria, http://iig.umit-tirol.at
Prof. Dr. Elske Ammenwerth studied Medical Informatics (Dipl.-Inform. Med.) at the University of Heidelberg/University of Applied Sciences Heilbronn. She obtained her doctorate degree (Dr.sc.hum.) from the University of Heidelberg in 2001. In 2002, she joined UMIT TIROL - Private University for Health Sciences, Medical Informatics and Technology as an assistant professor and head of the Research Group on Assessment of Health Information Systems. She was appointed full professor for health informatics at UMIT and head of the Institute of Medical Informatics in 2005.
Her research comprises medication safety, electronic health records and patient portals, management of hospital information systems, evaluation of IT in health care, evidence-based health informatics, and learning analytics. Dr. Ammenwerth is the founder and co-chair of the Working Group on Assessment of Health Information Systems of EFMI (European Federation for Health Informatics) and co-chair of the Austrian Health Informatics Working Group (AK-MI). Between 2008 and 2016, she was the co-organizer of the annual Austrian eHealth Conference in Vienna and of the conference European Nursing Informatics - ENI focussing on IT usage in nursing and social care.
Dr. Ammenwerth is the Austrian representative to IMIA and EFMI. For her contribution to evidence-based health informatics, she received the David Sackett Prize of the German Network for Evidence-based Medicine. In 2011, she was appointed International Fellow of the American College of Medical Informatics (ACMI). In 2017, she was elected a founding member of the International Academy of Health Science Informatics (IAHSI). She has been a keynote speaker at large conferences such as Medical Informatics Europe, Ascendio, and eHealth Summit Swiss.
Elske Ammenwerth has published over 140 papers in national and international peer-reviewed journals. She has published or edited more than 25 books and proceedings on health informatics. She has been a member of the program committees of more than 100 scientific workshops and conferences in health informatics. She is a member of the editorial boards of Methods of Information in Medicine, International Journal of Medical Informatics, Applied Clinical Informatics, and Journal of Biomedical Informatics. She serves as a reviewer for several other health informatics journals, including the Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association, Journal of Medical Internet Research, and Educational Technology Research and Development.
Elske Ammenwerth initiated and now manages the fully online-based Health Information Management master program at UMIT that started in 2017. In 2018, Dr. Ammenwerth and her team received the John Mantas’ Prize 2018 for the Best Paper on Education in Biomedical and Health Informatics for their work on innovative instructional designs for an online-based learning setting. In 2019, Dr. Ammenwerth received a Master in Educational Technology (MET) from the University of British Columbia.
Positions and memberships:
- Co-Chair of the Working Group on Assessment of Health Information Systemsof the European Federation for Health Informatics (EFMI)
- Co-Chair of the Working Group on Health Informatics (AK-MI) of the Austrian Computer Society - Österreichische Computergesellschaft (OCG)
- Austrian representative to the European Federation for Health Informatics(EFMI)
- Austrian representative to the International Medical Informatics Association(IMIA)
- Member of the German Society for Medical Informatics, Biometry and Epidemiology - Deutsche Gesellschaft für Med. Informatik, Biometrie und Epidemiologie (GMDS)
- Member of the German Association of Medical Informatics Professionals - Berufsverband Medizinischer Informatiker (BVMI)
- Member of the American Medical Informatics Association (AMIA)
- International Fellow of theAmerican College of Medical Informatics (ACMI)
- Member of theInternational Academy of Health Science Informatics (IAHSI)
For a list of recent publications, see the publication list of the Institute of Medical Informatics
- Hits: 736